After Life 2019 info:-
The first episode is wearying, punishing and subtle as a sledgehammer. But get past that and The Office creator’s new comedy actually becomes a rewarding watch. It is a punishing, wearying thing to sit through. It’s not funny. It isn’t clever. By the end of the first episode, you will have reached a definitive conclusion about After Life, which may well be “No thanks”. But that’s a shame, because After Life is a journey. It doesn’t end where it starts … which is good, because the start is horrible. Gervais plays a suicidal widower driven to act out his most nihilistic impulses.
Crippled by depression and with nothing to live for, he spends his days snapping insensitively unvarnished truths at everyone he meets. Nobody – not postmen or supermarket workers or children – is spared his determination to tell it like it really is. There’s a sense that Gervais badly wants to have his cake and eat it. In effect, he seems to be saying that it took a harrowing combination of terminal illness, death, bereavement and suicidal thinking to essentially make his character behave in exactly the same way Ricky Gervais does in his standup act. It’s a bizarre hurdle for the viewer to navigate, and it’s flung at us right from the outset.
After Life 2019 Casting:-
- Ricky Gervais as Tony Johnson, head of feature stories at the Tambury Gazette, a local newspaper. After the death of his wife, he is depressed and suicidal.
- Tom Basden as Matt, Tony’s brother-in-law and boss, head of the Tambury Gazette
- Tony Way as Lenny, photographer at the Tambury Gazette
- Diane Morgan as Kath, employee at the newspaper, responsible for advertising
- Mandeep Dhillon as Sandy, a newly hired journalist
- Ashley Jensen as Emma, a nurse working at Tony’s dad’s nursing home
- David Bradley as Ray Johnson, Tony’s dad, who has dementia and lives in a nursing home
- Kerry Godliman as Lisa Johnson, Tony’s late wife
- Paul Kaye as Tony’s psychiatrist
- Tim Plester as Julian Kane, a drug addict, who is hired by Matt to deliver the paper
- Joe Wilkinson as postman Pat
- Tommy Finnegan as George, Tony’s nephew
- Thomas Bastable as Robbie, a classmate of George’s
- Penelope Wilton as Anne, an older lady and widow, who Tony meets at the graveyard
- David Earl as Brian, a hoarder, who above all, wants to appear in the local newspaper
- Jo Hartley as June, Lenny’s girlfriend
- Roisin Conaty as Daphne, aka “Roxy”, a sex worker
- Anti as Brandy, Tony’s and Lisa’s dog, Tony’s reason to keep living. Please See More Information…..
After Life 2019 Reception:-
The first season received mixed reviews upon its release. On Rotten Tomatoes, it has an overall approval rating of 71% with an average score of 6.29/10 based on 41 reviews. The site’s critical consensus reads, “After Life‘s first season teeters tonally between dark comedy and affecting drama, but Ricky Gervais’ poignant performance illuminates new sides of the actor’s talent”. On Metacritic, which uses a weighted average, the series has a score of 57 based on 13 reviews. Merrill Barr from Forbes said of the series, “Overall, After Life is one hundred percent a series to check out.
It’s the Ricky Gervais project people have been begging for, for a long time.” Josh Modell of AV Club states that After Life is a “dreary, sarcastic self-pity party that also manages—in a magic trick perhaps only Gervais is capable of pulling off—to constantly point out its protagonist’s intellectual superiority” and that “as a meaningful meditation on grief, is dead on arrival”. On 22 February 2019, the official trailer for the series was released. On 8 March 2019, Netflix released all six episodes of the first season.
After Life 2019 Production:-
On 9 May 2018, it was announced that Netflix had given the production a series order for a first season consisting of six episodes. The series was created and directed by Ricky Gervais, who is also set to be executive producer alongside Charlie Hanson. On 14 January 2019, it was announced that the series would premiere on 8 March 2019. It was further announced that Duncan Hayes would serve as an additional executive producer and that Hanson would actually serve as a producer. On 3 April 2019, it was announced that the series was renewed for a second season.